Venera Fazio was born in Bafia, Sicily, and immigrated to Canada when she was a child. She has a Master’s Degree in Social Work and for 15 years worked in the Mental Health field. She is co-editor of the anthology Sweet Lemons: Writing with a Sicilian accent (Legas 2004) and Writing Beyond History: An Anthology of Prose and Poetry (Cusmano, 2006).  Her writing has been read on radio, published in anthologies The Many Faces of Women (River City Press, 2001)and The Dynamics of Cultural Exchange (Cusimano, 2002) and in a number of literary magazines in Canada and the USA including Accenti, Whetstone, The Nashwaak Review, Pyramid Magazine, and VIA-Voices in Italian Americana. She is an active member of the Association of Italian Canadian Writers and currently volunteers as vice-president. Venera lives in Bright’s Grove with her husband and two children.*



A Plea for Sympathy

(segue sotto la versione italiana del testo)



n the evening of December 2, 1922, Filomena (Florence) Losandro, weak and exhausted from the trial’s proceedings, tried to control her tremors as the foreman of the jury pronounced her fate. Waiting in the halls of the Calgary courtroom sand spilling out into the cold winter night, hundreds of curious Albertans crowded together. They had intently followed the details of the case in the newspapers and wanted to be the first to hear the outcome of one of the most sensational murder trials of the day. Two defendants, Filomena Losandro and Emilio Picariello, stood charged with killing Steven Lawson, a policeman.

         Filomena was born in 1900 in Cosenza (Calabria), Italy. When she was nine, her family immigrated to Fernie, British Columbia. Later, family and friends would describe her as a model Italian girl, gentle and quiet. Towards her parents, Angela and Vincenzo Costanzo, she was a respectful and obedient. Her father unwittingly sealed her tragic future when he promised her in marriage to Carlo Sanfidele. 

         During a baptismal dinner, when the men had drunk too much liquor, Carlo took advantage of Vincenzo’s inebriated state and obtained permission to marry his fourteen-year-old daughter. Filomena had always disliked Carlo and begged her father to change his mind. The short, stocky suitor, nine years her senior, was too old and physically repulsive, she complained. Having noted the mean look in his eyes, she intuitively feared him. But Vincenzo had given his word in front of his friends and he wouldn’t go back on it.

         The Costanzos were members of the tight-knit Italian immigrant community of Fernie. Within the family and in the community, traditional values were strictly upheld: a father’s word was law; it was a daughter’s duty to obey, and above all, a child must never dishonour her parents by causing them to lose face in public. Vincenzo, burdened by the financial strains of feeding his large family on his meagre coal miner’s salary, believed he had procured an economically secure future for his eldest daughter. After all, his future son-in-law worked for the enterprising businessman, Emilio Picariello. In time, Filomena would be affluent, but not for the reasons her father foresaw.

         Her wedding picture shows a slender, dark-haired, dark-eyed teenager, her mouth set in resignation. On their wedding night, her husband revealed his controlling, abusive nature. He struck her when she objected to his plan to move out of Fernie and live in Pennsylvania.

         In the United States, they took up residence in a boarding house with rooms reserved for prostitution. Filomena was horrified and fearful of the debauchery surrounding her. Drunken men pawed her and made lewd suggestions. She felt vulnerable and unprotected. Carlo abandoned her for days at a time and frequently left her alone during the night, not telling her where he was going or what he was doing. Eventually, she realized their fine clothes and jewellery came from his gambling profits.

         Whenever she pleaded with him to take her back to Fernie, to settle into “normal” family life, he would fly into a rage. According to Filomena’s biographer, Jock Carpenter (The Bootlegger’s Bride), the unhappy bride continued to obey her husband and remain married because she feared him. “Displeasing Carlo gave her a churning feeling deep within her stomach; a withering look from him put cold fingers down her spine.” (1)

         Then one day, within months of their stay in the boarding house, the young woman got her wish to return home. Carlo’s creditors came looking for him and so the couple left. To prevent further detection on their journey north to Canada, her husband changed his name to Charles Losandro. (2) Like fugitives, they illegally sneaked across the United States border back into Canada. In Fernie, Carlo resumed working for his previous employer, Emilio Picariello. From then on, Emilio controlled their lives. Carlo would always be more dedicated to his boss than to his wife.

         Emilio inspired loyalty. A charismatic man, he was expansive and generous, especially towards members of the Italian community. The year before the murder trial, in a rare show of solidarity, his countrymen banded together and helped vote him in as a member of the Blairmore (Alberta) town council. Emilio was an ambitious person and a risk taker. He had immigrated from Capriglia (Avellino), Italy, to Toronto (Ontario) just before the turn of the century. Within a few years, he owned a thriving grocery store.

         In 1911, three years before Carlo and Filomena married, Emilio moved his wife and children from Toronto to Fernie. He had heard the West offered better prospects. By the time the Losandros returned home from the United States, Emilio was operating several different businesses including selling cigars, ice cream, and recycling glass bottles. Soon his bottle trade overshadowed his other ventures, and he became wealthy.

         During the hot summer of 1916, in response to a vigorous anti-liquor campaign by the National Women’s Temperance Union, the Alberta Government declared Prohibition. Emilio frequently travelled through the towns of the Crowsnest Pass from British Columbia into Alberta, collecting bottles. Always on the lookout for profitable ventures, he sold whiskey to thirsty Alberta residents. At that time, the Prohibition Act allowed Albertans to purchase liquor from out of province sources.

         For several years, Emilio was content to stay on the fringe of the illegal liquor trade. In 1917, British Columbia became “dry” and the possibility of profits from another lucrative market proved too tempting. To accommodate his growing business, he moved his headquarters from Fernie to the Alberta Hotel, in nearby Blairmore. Emilio thrived on the dangers of bootlegging. When necessary, he could be calculating and cunning. Eventually, his business tentacles stretched as far as the state of Montana, earning him the nicknames “Emperor Pic” and “King of the Bootleggers.”

         After 1918, rum running became increasingly perilous. The terms of the Prohibition Act changed, and its more restrictive measures drove the liquor traffic underground. The Alberta Provincial Police (3) doubled their efforts of rooting out moon shiners and bootleggers, sometimes resorting to shooting at the cars of suspected bootleggers during chases.

         Emilio decided his liquor loads had a better chance of escaping detection if Filomena rode in the car. With her youthful, innocent appearance, she would be the perfect decoy. Better yet, the police would not shoot at a car with a female passenger. “Across the table [Filomena] sought her husband’s eyes. She wanted him to help, to refuse to let her go. Carlo avoided her eyes . . . . [She] knew she would be forced to go, especially if this would make him look good in the older man’s eyes.” (4)

         Filomena did as she was told. She made one final plea to her husband, begging him to leave Blairmore and start a new life. In response, he berated her, saying she was ungrateful for their boss’s generosity, her expensive clothes, and the good food they enjoyed. Filomena felt defeated. Shortly afterwards, she found an innocuous way to break free from Carlo. When one of Emilio’s children became ill, she moved into the Picariello household to help and managed to stay there permanently.

         From then on, the young woman embraced her role as decoy. Although she disapproved of bootlegging, she had no other option. Returning home to her parents was impossible. Her marriage vows bound her to Carlo even though they did not live together. She had very few friends to turn to as many of the women in town shunned her, deriding her for her illegal activities.

         Out on the liquor runs, she enjoyed the scenic countryside of southern Alberta and the company of the drivers, especially if the man behind the wheel was Emilio’s oldest son, Steve. She and Steve were close in age and had fun together. Filomena harboured romantic feelings for Steve, but there is no evidence he felt the same way about her.

         No matter who was driving, she may have felt safe, immune from harm.  Emilio had many friends who looked out for him and thousands of dollars to bribe appropriate officials or to pay for fines when he was charged. A phone call to Emilio on September 21, 1922 burst that bubble of security.

         A friend reported that Constable Lawson had shot Steve during a high-speed car chase. The caller told Emilio he did not know how seriously his son had been wounded. Emilio, fearing the worst, believed Steve was dead and panicked. Despite protests from his family, he decided to confront the officer. Filomena offered to accompany him. On route to the policeman’s home in Coleman (Alberta), the enraged man took out his gun and then handed her a second gun, saying it was for protection.

         Steven Lawson came out of his front door and stepped up onto the sideboard of the car to speak to Emilio. The two men argued. When the constable saw Emilio’s gun, he lunged forward and started choking the Italian in an attempt to disarm him. Witnesses would later testify to hearing four or five gunshots. The last bullet fired caught the officer in the shoulder and then managed to puncture his heart. That night, at separate locations, Filomena and Emilio hid from the law, but the next day the police found them and charged both of them with murder. During their arrests, they heard that the younger Picariello had suffered only a minor hand wound.

         Sergeant Scott was taken aback when Filomena willingly made a full confession, a decision she would later sorrowfully regret. “I did not shoot till I saw a gun pointed at me,” she told the officers) (5) Two shots were fired at her and Emilio, and then she fired two shots. Later in the same conversation, she changed her statement, saying she had fired all the shots.

         Albertans cast a furious eye on the accused. Steven Lawson was the third policeman, within a three-year period, to be killed while trying to stem the flow of illegal liquor. His murder provided prohibitionists a dramatic opportunity to vilify bootleggers. “This precious scoundrel gloried in his lawless exploits,” one citizen wrote of Emilio. (6)

         Vicious rumours were spread about Filomena and her involvement with the two Picariello men.  Some believed she was either Emilio’s mistress or Steve’s. Others jeered, saying she was sexually entangled with both of them.

         Many Albertans judged Filomena and Emilio guilty based solely on their ethnicity. “The standard of morality of the foreign born is lower than many of the beasts of this land”, denounced L.H. Putnam in editorials he circulated in numerous newspapers. (7). During the trial, a potential key witness, the woman who sheltered Filomena the night of the shooting was not called as a witness. When the defence attorney questioned Crown Attorney, A. A. McGillivary on this issue, McGillivary replied, “After all what bearing can the testimony of one Italian woman have on the case . . . ?” (8). Defence lawyer, J. McKinley Cameron, aware of the widespread racism against Italians, made a passionate plea for objectivity during his final remarks to the jury.

         Albertans poured their compassion onto the constable’s widow and children, especially his two daughters Pearl and Peggy, aged nine and thirteen respectively. Both girls were important witnesses in the Crown’s case against the accused. In the towns along the Crowsnest Pass, many mourned the passing of Steven Lawson for a long time. He had had a pleasant, friendly personality and had been a dedicated, conscientious police officer.  Prior to joining the Alberta Provincial Police, he had served as Chief of Police in the cities of MacLeod (Alberta) and Fernie. His funeral drew the largest cortege ever seen in MacLeod.

         With a swiftness unheard of today, the justice system closed in on Emilio and Filomena.  The inquest took place on September 23, two days after the shooting, the preliminary hearing on October 2, and the trial started on November 27. The first morning of the trial was taken up with the difficult task of selecting a jury. The attorneys disqualified forty-eight individuals before selecting six men they believed had not prejudged the accused.

         Once the trial began, the prosecution provided considerable evidence connecting both of the accused with the murder of the constable. Filomena sat pale and subdued, nervously picking at her handkerchief as she listened to the responses of over thirty witnesses. Three men had heard Emilio threatening revenge against the police for shooting his son. 

         Several citizens recognized the accused as they drove through town. Peggy Lawson testified she saw Emilio hand “something” to Filomena, presumably the gun. Neighbours of the Lawsons identified Emilio’s car and the two occupants. Mrs. Lawson confirmed her husband left all his guns behind in the house. Pearl Lawson, standing to the rear of Emilio’s car, saw Filomena fire her weapon. She was not sure if she had seen the man shoot.

         The investigating officers implicated Emilio. They found bullet casings from two different guns both in and outside of the car. Inside the car, there was evidence of random shooting. The officers found two bullet holes, one to the right of the speedometer and another in the windshield. There was also a spent bullet on the floor underneath where Filomena had been sitting.

         Mr. Cameron did not call any witnesses; instead, he did his best to discredit the Crown’s witnesses. The police had been sloppy in their investigation, he pointed out. When Sergeant Scott arrested Filomena, he had not made written notes of her confession or taken a signed statement.

         The accused did not intend to kill Steven Lawson, the defence attorney continued. Filomena fired in self defence. “[And] if Picariello had been in a rage and wanted to get Lawson, don’t you think he would have shot him on sight as he appeared in the doorway of the barracks?” he asked. (9) He suggested that the constable had gotten hold of Emilio’s gun and had not ceased shooting until he himself was shot. There was no direct evidence indicating Emilio had fired his gun, he reiterated.

         The jury disagreed with the defence. Justice Walsh pronounced the maximum sentence--death by hanging for both the accused. He held out a sliver of hope to Filomena: perhaps some clemency would be extended to her because she was a woman. From the beginning of the legal proceedings, Filomena and Emilio had counted on that same leniency, but before sentencing rather than afterwards. The young woman flinched at the Judge’s words. She was removed from the court, “pallid and weeping,”(10) a woman without a future, a woman betrayed.

         Locked in their separate cells in the Fort Saskatchewan jail, Emilio and Filomena each prayed for mercy as their lawyer appealed for a new trial and later, for less drastic sentences. During her wait, Filomena confided to her spiritual advisor, Father Fidelis Chicoine that Emilio had deceived her. He had been like a father to her, yet he had turned on her, had told her to take the blame, even though he had been responsible for killing Steven Lawson. Emilio had assured her he had the money to pay for the best lawyers and that the law would be lenient. He convinced her that she would be set free or receive a light sentence.

         Emilio’s strategy might have worked. In Alberta, it was customary for the legal system to commute capital sentences imposed on females. But he failed to take into account that many Albertans considered Filomena different from other women. She was an Italian immigrant.

         J. McKinley Cameron was unsuccessful in all of his appeals. At daybreak, on May 2, 1923, first Emilio, and then a composed Filomena stepped up to the scaffold. “[Emilio], he lied and lied and lied” (11), she protested just before the executioner adjusted the straps. Then she asked, “Ah, is there not one of you who has any sympathy for me?” (12)


*     *     *


         Now, eighty years after her death, with society’s awareness of “The Battered Wife Syndrome,” Filomena Losandro receives the empathy she was once denied. In addition to Jock Carpenter’s 1992 biography, The Bootlegger’s Bride, (13) composer John Estacio and librettist John Murrell, in 2003, produced the opera Filumena. Both the critically acclaimed opera and the biography depict Filomena as a tragic figure, victimized by circumstances and the men in her life. She was worthy of compassion whether or not she had killed Steven Lawson and was entitled to the same clemency extended to other Albertan women charged with murder.

         In a cruel footnote of history, the year after Emilio and Filomena died, Albertans repealed Prohibition. (14) The death of three police officers and the escalating levels of violence proved too high a price to pay for a drink of illegal liquor. Filomena was the only woman ever executed in the province of Alberta.




(versione italiana del testo)



Venera Fazio è nata a Bafia in Sicilia, ed emigrò in Canada quando era bambina. Ha conseguito un Master Degree in Social Work e per 15 anni ha lavorato nel campo della Salute Mentale. È co-curatrice dell’antologia Sweet Lemons: Writing with a Sicilian accent  (Dolci Limoni: Scritti con un accento siciliano) (Legas 2004) and Writing Beyond History: An Anthology of Prose and Poetry (Cusmano, 2006). I suoi scritti sono stati letti alla radio, pubblicati nelle antologie The Many Faces of Women (Le molte facce delle donne) (River City Press, 2001) and The Dynamics of Cultural Exchange (Le dinamiche dello  scambio culturale) (Cusimano, 2002) e in diverse riviste letterarie in Canada e in USA incluse Accenti, Whetstone, The Nashwaak Review, Pyramid Magazine, and VIA-Voices in Italian Americana. È membro attivo dell’Associazione degli Scrittori Italocanadesi e attualmente è volontaria vice-presidente. Venera vive a Bright’s Grove in Ontario con il marito e due figli.*


Un appello alla simpatia

traduzione di Elettra Bedon



ella sera del 2 dicembre 1922 Filomena (Florence) Losandro, stanca ed esausta per le sedute del processo, cercava di controllare il tremito mentre il capo dei giurati decretava il suo destino. Nelle sale del tribunale di Calgary e traboccando nel freddo nella notte invernale centinaia di albertani curiosi erano raggruppati in attesa. Avevano seguito con attenzione i dettagli del caso sui giornali, e volevano essere i primi a sapere il risultato di uno dei più sensazionali processi per omicidio del giorno. Due accusati, Filomena Losandro ed Emilio Picariello, erano ritenuti colpevoli dell’uccisione di Steven Lawson, un poliziotto.

Filomena era nata nel 1900 a Cosenza (Calabria), in Italia. Aveva nove anni quando la sua famiglia era arrivata a Fernie, nella British Columbia. Più tardi la sua famiglia e gli amici l’avrebbero descritta come una ragazza italiana modello, gentile, silenziosa e obbediente. Con i suoi genitori, Angela e Vincenzo Costanzo, era rispettosa e obbediente. Suo padre, senza saperlo, suggellò il suo tragico futuro quando la promise in sposa a Carlo Sanfidele.

Durante un pranzo in occasione di un battesimo, in cui gli uomini avevano bevuto troppo, Carlo approfittò dello stato di ubriachezza di Vincenzo e ottenne il permesso di sposarne la figlia quattordicenne. A Filomena Carlo non era mai piaciuto, e supplicò suo padre di cambiare idea. Il suo pretendente di piccola statura, tarchiato, di nove anni maggiore di lei, era troppo vecchio e fisicamente repellente, si lamentò. Avendo notato una luce di cattiveria nei suoi occhi, istintivamente lo temeva. Ma Vincenzo aveva dato la sua parola in presenza dei suoi amici e non voleva rimangiarsela.

I Costanzo facevano parte della compatta comunità italiana di Fernie. In famiglia, e nella comunità, i valori tradizionali erano osservati strettamente: la parola del padre era legge; era dovere della figlia obbedire e – soprattutto – un figlio non doveva mai disonorare i genitori facendogli perdere la faccia in pubblico. Vincenzo, oppresso dallo sforzo finanziario di mantenere la numerosa famiglia con il suo magro salario di minatore, credette di aver garantito alla figlia maggiore un avvenire economicamente sicuro. Dopo tutto, il suo futuro genero lavorava per un intraprendente uomo d’affari, Emilio Picariello. In seguito Filomena sarebbe diventata ricca, ma non per le ragioni che suo padre prevedeva.

La fotografia del matrimonio mostra un’adolescente snella, dai capelli e dagli occhi scuri, dall’espressione rassegnata. La notte delle nozze suo marito rivelò la sua natura autoritaria e violenta. La picchiò quando lei si oppose all’idea di lasciare Fernie per andare in Pennsylvania.

Negli Stati Uniti andarono ad abitare in una pensione che aveva camere riservate alla prostituzione. Filomena era scandalizzata e impaurita dalla dissolutezza che la circondava. Uomini ubriachi le mettevano le mani addosso e le facevano proposte indecenti. Si sentiva vulnerabile, senza protezione. Carlo la lasciava sola per giorni interi e spesso anche durante la notte, senza dirle dove andasse o che cosa facesse. Alla fine lei si rese conto che i loro bei vestiti e i gioielli erano il frutto dei suoi guadagni al gioco.

Ogni volta che lei lo supplicava di riportarla a Fernie, di sistemarsi in una “normale” vita di famiglia, lui veniva preso dalla rabbia. Secondo il biografo di Filomena, Jock Carpenter, l’infelice sposa continuava a obbedire al marito e a rimanere con lui perché ne aveva paura. “Dispiacere a Carlo le dava un senso di agitazione nello stomaco; un suo sguardo sprezzante le faceva venire i brividi lungo la schiena.” (1)

Poi un giorno, dopo mesi alla pensione, la giovane donna poté soddisfare il suo desiderio di tornare a casa. I creditori di Carlo vennero a cercarlo e così la coppia partì. Per impedire che in seguito venisse scoperto il loro ritorno in Canada, suo marito cambiò il proprio nome in Charles Losandro. (2) Come fuggitivi attraversarono illegalmente  il confine tra gli Stati Uniti e il Canada. A Fernie Carlo riprese a lavorare per il suo vecchio datore di lavoro, Emilio Picariello. Da quel momento in poi Emilio controllò la loro vita, e Carlo sarebbe stato sempre più devoto al suo capo che a sua moglie.

Emilio ispirava lealtà. Uomo carismatico, era espansivo e generoso, specialmente verso i membri della comunità italiana. L’anno prima del processo per omicidio, in un raro spettacolo di solidarietà, i suoi compaesani si misero insieme e aiutarono a farlo eleggere membro del Consiglio comunale di Blairmore (Alberta). Emilio era ambizioso e pronto a correre rischi. Era immigrato a Toronto (Ontario) da Capriglia, in provincia di Avellino, in Italia, appena prima dell’inizio del secolo. Dopo solo pochi anni divenne proprietario di una fiorente drogheria.

Nel 1911, tre anni prima che Carlo e Filomena si sposassero, Emilio trasferì moglie e  figli da Toronto a Fernie. Aveva sentito dire che l’ovest offriva migliori prospettive. Quando i Losandro tornarono dagli Stati Uniti, Emilio faceva affari in campi diversi, compresa la vendita di sigari e di gelati, e il riciclaggio di bottiglie di vetro. Presto il suo traffico con le bottiglie mise in ombra ogni altra attività, e lui si arricchì.

Durante la calda estate del 1916, in risposta a una vigorosa campagna anti-alcoolici della National Women’s Temperance Union, il governo dell’Alberta dichiarò il proibizionismo. Emilio viaggiava spesso per le città del Crownest Pass dalla British Columbia all’Alberta, raccogliendo bottiglie. Sempre alla ricerca di affari fruttuosi, vendeva whiskey agli albertani assetati. In quel periodo il Prohibition Act permetteva ai residenti dell’Alberta di acquistare alcoolici fuori provincia.

Per parecchi anni Emilio si accontentò di stare ai margini del commercio illegale degli alcoolici. Nel 1917 il proibizionismo arrivò anche nella British Columbia, e la possibilità di guadagni da un altro mercato promettente si fece troppo allettante. Per ospitare i suoi affari in crescita trasferì il suo quartier generale da Fernie all’Alberta Hotel nella vicina Blairmore. Emilio prosperava sui rischi del contrabbando di bevande alcooliche. Quando era necessario, sapeva essere furbo e calcolatore. Alla fine i tentacoli dei suoi affari arrivarono fino allo stato del Montana, guadagnandogli i soprannomi di “Imperatore Pic” e di “Re dei contrabbandieri di bevande alcooliche.”

Dopo il 1918 far fluire gli alcoolici divenne sempre più pericoloso. Le clausole del Prohibition Act cambiarono e i loro provvedimenti, più severi, resero clandestino il traffico degli alcoolici. La polizia provinciale dell’Alberta (3) raddoppiò gli sforzi per sradicare i distillatori clandestini di alcoolici e i contrabbandieri, ricorrendo a volte a sparatorie, durante gli inseguimenti,  contro le macchine di sospetti contrabbandieri.

Emilio decise che i suoi carichi di bevande alcooliche avevano maggiori possibilità di non essere scoperti se c’era Filomena in macchina. Con il suo aspetto giovane e innocente era perfetta per sviare i sospetti. Inoltre, la polizia non avrebbe sparato a una macchina con una donna a bordo. Jock Carpenter riferisce che “Attraverso il tavolo (Filomena) cercò gli occhi del marito. Voleva che lui l’aiutasse, che rifiutasse di lasciarla andare. Carlo evitò il suo sguardo … Lei sapeva che sarebbe stata costretta ad andare, specialmente se questo poteva valorizzarlo agli occhi dell’uomo più anziano…”. (4)

Filomena fece ciò che le dissero. Supplicò ancora una volta il marito, pregandolo di lasciare Blairmore e di cominciare una nuova vita. Come risposta lui la rimproverò, dicendo che era una ingrata nei confronti della generosità del loro datore di lavoro, cui dovevano gli abiti costosi, e il buon cibo di cui godevano. Filomena dovette darsi per vinta. Poco dopo trovò un modo innocuo per liberarsi di Carlo: quando uno dei figli di Emilio si ammalò, si trasferì in casa Picariello per aiutare, e fece in modo di restarci in modo stabile.

Da allora in poi la giovane donna accettò il suo ruolo di copertura. Benché disapprovasse il contrabbando, non aveva alternativa. Tornare dai suoi genitori era impossibile. Le promesse matrimoniali la legavano a Carlo, anche se non vivevano insieme. Aveva pochissimi amici cui potersi rivolgere, poiché molte donne in città la evitavano, deridendola per la sua attività illegale.

Nelle corse per il trasporto degli alcoolici godeva del paesaggio spettacoloso dell’Alberta meridionale e della compagnia degli autisti, specialmente quando l’uomo al volante era il figlio maggiore di Emilio, Steve. Lei e Steve avevano pressappoco la stessa età, e si divertivano insieme. Filomena aveva sentimenti romantici per Steve, ma non ci sono prove che lui sentisse la stessa cosa per lei.

Chiunque fosse alla guida, lei doveva sentirsi in salvo, al sicuro. Emilio aveva molti amici che tenevano gli occhi aperti per lui, e migliaia di dollari per corrompere specifici funzionari, o per pagare le multe quando era trovato colpevole. Una telefonata a Emilio, il 21 settembre 1922, fece scoppiare quella bolla in cui si sentiva protetta.

Un amico riferì che l’agente di polizia Lawson aveva sparato a Steve durante un inseguimento ad alta velocità. Chi chiamava disse a Emilio di non sapere quanto gravemente suo figlio fosse stato ferito. Emilio, temendo il peggio, credette che Steve fosse morto e fu colto dal panico. Malgrado le proteste della sua famiglia, decise di affrontare il poliziotto. Filomena si offrì di accomopagnarlo. Sulla via verso la casa del poliziotto a Coleman (Alberta) l’uomo infuriato tirò fuori una rivoltella e ne diede a lei una seconda, dicendo che era per proteggersi.

Steven Lawson uscì dalla porta di casa e si avvicinò alla macchina per parlare con Emilio. I due uomini si misero a discutere. Quando l’agente vide la rivoltella di Emilio si gettò in avanti e cercò di strozzare l’italiano, nel tentativo di disarmarlo. Testimoni dissero in seguito di aver udito quattro o cinque spari. L’ultima pallottola sparata colpì il poliziotto al cuore. Quella notte, in luoghi diversi, Filomena ed Emilio si nascosero, ma il giorno dopo la polizia li trovò e accusò entrambi di omicidio. Durante il loro arresto vennero a sapere che il giovane Picariello era stato soltanto ferito leggermente a una mano.

Il sergente Scott fu sorpreso quando Filomena, di sua spontanea volontà, fece una completa confessione, una decisione che in seguito avrebbe rimpianto. “Non ho sparato finché non ho visto una rivoltella puntata contro di me” (5), disse ai poliziotti. Due colpi erano stati sparati contro lei ed Emilio, e poi era stata lei a sparare due colpi. Più tardi, nella stessa conversazione, lei cambiò la dichiarazione dicendo che aveva sparato lei tutti i colpi.

Gli albertani guardavano gli accusati con occhi furibondi. Steven Lawson era il terzo poliziotto, nel giro di tre anni, a essere ucciso nel tentativo di arrestare il flusso delle bevande alcooliche illegali. Il suo assassinio diede ai proibizionisti una splendida occasione di diffamare i contrabbandieri. “Questo esimio farabutto si vantava delle sue imprese fuorilegge”, scrisse di Emilio un cittadino. (6)

Voci morbose circolarono su Filomena e sul suo coinvolgimento con i due Picariello; alcuni pensavano che fosse l’amante o di Emilio o di Steve, altri la schernivano dicendo che se la faceva con tutti e due.

Molti albertani giudicarono Filomena ed Emilio colpevoli soltanto per la loro origine etnica. “Il livello di moralità degli stranieri è inferiore a quello degli animali di questa terra” (7), fu scritto in un editoriale che apparve in parecchi giornali. Durante il processo una potenziale testimone chiave, la donna che aveva ospitato Filomena la notte della sparatoria, non fu chiamata al banco dei testimoni. Quando l’avvocato della difesa interrogò il Pubblico Ministero A.A.Mc Gillivary su questo punto, questi rispose: “Dopo tutto, che peso può avere, in questo caso, la testimonianza di una donna italiana?” (8) L’avvocato difensore, J. Mc Kinley Cameron, conscio del diffuso razzismo contro gli italiani, pronunciò un’appassionata supplica in favore dell’obiettività durante le sue ultime raccomandazioni alla giuria.

Gli albertani riversarono la loro compassione sulla vedova e sui figli del poliziotto, specialmente sulle due figlie, Pearl e Peggy, di nove e tredici anni. Entrambe erano testimoni importanti dell’accusa. Nelle città lungo il Crownest Pass molti piansero a lungo la morte di Steven Lawson. Costui aveva avuto una personalità accattivante, amichevole, ed era stato un agente di polizia coscienzioso. Prima di far parte della polizia provinciale dell’Alberta era stato commissario di polizia nelle città di MacLeod (Alberta) e Fernie. Il suo funerale attirò il maggior numero di persone che si fosse mai visto a MacLeod.

Con una speditezza impensabile oggi, il sistema giudiziario chiuse ogni via d’uscita per Emilio e per Filomena. L’inchiesta ebbe luogo il 23 settembre, due giorni dopo la sparatoria, e l’udienza preliminare il 2 ottobre; il processo iniziò il 27 novembre. La prima mattinata del processo fu occupata nel difficile compito di selezionare una giuria. Gli avvocati respinsero quarantotto persone prima di selezionare sei uomini che – ritennero – non avevano pregiudizi nei confronti degli accusati.

Una volta iniziato il processo, la pubblica accusa fornì notevoli prove che collegavano entrambi gli accusati all’omicidio del poliziotto. Filomena sedeva pallida e sottomessa, stropicciando nervosamente il fazzoletto mentre ascoltava le risposte di oltre trenta testimoni. Tre uomini avevano udito Emilio minacciare vendetta contro la polizia per aver sparato al figlio.

Parecchi cittadini avevano riconosciuto gli accusati mentre passavano in città. Peggy Lawson dichiarò di aver visto Emilio dare “qualcosa” a Filomena, presumibilmente la rivoltella. I vicini di Lawson identificarono la macchina di Emilio e i due occupanti. La signora Lawson confermò che il marito aveva lasciato le sue rivoltelle in casa. Perl Lawson, stando dietro la macchina di Emilio, aveva visto Filomena sparare. Non era sicura di aver visto l’uomo farlo.

Gli investigatori coinvolsero Emilio; avevano trovato i bossoli di due rivoltelle diverse sia all’interno che all’esterno della macchina. All’interno di questa c’erano prove di colpi sparati a casaccio. Essi trovarono due fori di proiettile, uno a destra del tachimetro e l’altro nel parabrezza. C’era anche una cartuccia vuota sotto il sedile di Filomena.

L’avvocato Cameron non chiamò alcun testimone; fece invece del suo meglio per screditare i testimoni dell’accusa. Fece notare che la polizia era stata trascurata nell’investigazione. Quando il sergente Scott aveva arrestato Filomena, non aveva preso nota per iscritto della sua confessione, o preteso una dichiarazione firmata.

Gli accusati non intendevano uccidere Steven Lawson, continuò l’avvocato della difesa. Filomena aveva sparato per legittima difesa. “Se Picariello fosse stato infuriato e avesse voluto uccidere Lawson, non credete che gli avrebbe sparato a bruciapelo quando era apparso sulla porta di casa?” (9), domandò. Suggerì che il poliziotto era riuscito a prendere la rivoltella di Emilio e non aveva smesso di sparare finché lui stesso non era stato colpito. Non esisteva prova diretta che Emilio avesse fatto fuoco con la sua rivoltella, ripeté.

La giuria non si mostrò d’accordo con la difesa. Il giudice Walsh pronunciò la sentenza più severa – morte per impiccagione di entrambi gli accusati. C’era un briciolo di speranza per Filomena: forse per lei poteva esserci un po’ di clemenza, poiché era una donna. Prima dell’inizio della procedura legale, Filomena ed Emilio avevano contato su quella stessa indulgenza, ma prima della sentenza, piuttosto che dopo.

La giovane donna sussultò alle parole del giudice. Fu allontanata dal tribunale “pallida e piangente” (10), una donna senza futuro, una donna tradita.

Chiusi in celle separate nella prigione di Fort Saskatchewan, Emilio e Filomena pregarono per la grazia, mentre il loro avvocato faceva appello chiedendo un nuovo processo e, in seguito, una sentenza meno drastica. Durante l’attesa, Filomena confidò al suo consigliere spirituale, Padre Fidelis Chicoine, che Emilio l’aveva ingannata. Era stato per lei come un padre, eppure si era messo contro di lei, le aveva detto di addossarsi la colpa, benché fosse lui il responsabile dell’uccisione di Steven Lawson. Emilio le aveva assicurato di avere i soldi per pagare i migliori avvocati, e che la legge sarebbe stata clemente. L’aveva convinta che lei sarebbe stata rilasciata, o che le sarebbe stata comminata una pena leggera.

La strategia di Emilio avrebbe potuto funzionare; in Alberta il sistema giudiziario era solito commutare la pena capitale inflitta a donne. Ma non aveva considerato che molti albertani ritenevano Filomena diversa dalle altre donne: era una immigrante italiana.

J. Mc Kinley Cameron fallì in tutti i suoi appelli. All’alba del 2 maggio 1923 prima Emilio, e poi una calma Filomena, salirono sul patibolo. “Lui (Emilio) ha mentito e mentito e mentito”, protestò prima che il boia le mettesse il cappio al collo.  (11) Poi domandò: “Ah, non c’è nessuno di voi che abbia un po’ di simpatia per me?” (12)



Ora, ottant’anni dopo la sua morte, con la consapevolezza acquisita dalla società sulla “Sindrome della moglie picchiata”, lei riceve l’empatia che allora le fu negata. Oltre alla biografia di Jock Carpenter del 1992, The Bootlegger’s Bride (13), il compositore John Estacio e il librettista John Murrell nel 2002 hanno prodotto l’opera Filumena. Sia l’opera acclamata dalla critica che la biografia fanno di Filomena una figura tragica, vittimizzata dalle circostanze e dagli uomini della sua vita. Meritava compassione sia che avesse ucciso Steven Lawson o no, e aveva diritto alla stessa clemenza estesa ad altre donne albertane accusate di omicidio.

In una crudele nota a pie’ di pagina della storia, l’anno dopo la morte di Emilio e di Filomena gli albertani posero fine al proibizionismo (14). La morte di tre poliziotti e l’aumentato livello di violenza dimostrarono che il prezzo da pagare per un bicchiere di alcoolici illegali era troppo alto. Filomena fu la sola donna giustiziata nella provincia dell’Alberta.







1.     Jock Carpenter, The Bootlegger’s Bride (Calgary: Gorman & Gorman, 1993) 42.

2.     The spelling of the name Losandro varies in the reference material. Discrepancies include Lossandro, Lassandra, or Lasandro. I chose to use “Losandro,” the spelling Jock Carpenter believes is the most accurate.

3.     In 1917, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police withdrew their services as a provincial police force and the Alberta Provincial Police (A.P. P.) was formed. The A.P. P. served until 1932.

4.     Carpenter 103.

5.     Carpenter 206.

6.     Garnett Clay Porter, “The Bootlegger in the West,” The Christian Guarddian [Toronto] 18 Oct. 1922.

7 .    L.H. Putnam, letter, “The Responsibilities of Citizenship,” The Blairmore Enterprise 14 Oct. 1922.

8.     Carpenter 268.

9.     Carpenter 27.

10.   “Piccarillo and Mrs. Lassandra, Guilty: Sentenced to Death,” T h e Morning Albertan, Calgary 4 Dec. 1922: 10.

1 1. “Lassandra and ‘Pic’ Claimed Innocence When Facing Death,” Edmonton Journal 2 May 1923: 13.

12.   Edmonton Journal 2 May 1923: 13.

13.   Jock Carpenter spent ten years researching and writing The Bootlegger’s Bride. She collected information from newspapers, court records, the McKinley Cameron papers in the Glenbow Alberta Institute and researched the Alberta Archives in Edmonton. Charles Costanzo, brother of Vincenzo, provided her with background information on the life of Filomena. Carpenter also interviewed Father Fidelis Chicoine. In her book, she chose not to include detailed footnotes and a bibliography. In order to reference her work, I have drawn on original newspaper articles of all the legal proceedings and the deaths of Filomena and Emilio.

14.   In a November 1923 plebiscite, Albertans repealed Prohibition. However, the repeal was not proclaimed in the Alberta Legislature until May 1924.


Works Cited

Carpenter, Jock. The Bootlegger’s Bride. Calgary: Gorman & Gorman, 1993.

Clark, Bob. “A life the size of storms.” Calgary Herald 26 Jan. 2003, C1+.

Gray, James H. Bacchanalia Revisited: Western Canada’s Boozy Skid to Social Skid to Social   Disaster. Saskattoon: Western Producer Prairie Books, 1982.

Delong, Kenneth. “Filumina’s tragedy finds its voice.” Calgary Herald 3 Feb. 2003            <>.

Lee, Valeria Sestieri. “Italians and the Law in Alberta.” Italian Canadiana 15 (2001), 47-60.

Porter, Garnett Clay. “The Bootlegger in the West.” The Christian Guardian [Toronto] 18 Oct. 1922.

Putnam, L. H. Letter. “The Responsibilities of Citizenship.” The Blairmore Enterprise, 14 Oct       19922.

Morrow, Martin. “A Rocky Mountain tragedy.” The Globe and Mail [Toronto] 30 Jan. 2003, R1+.

Wittmeier, Carmen. “The Hangman and the high C.” The Report 9 July 2001, 54.

“Alberta’s bootlegger king.” Alberta Report 30 Oct.1981, 50-51.

“Piccarillo and Mrs. Lassandra Guilty; Sentenced to Death,” The Morning Albertan. Calgary 4   Dec.1922.

“Lassandra and ‘Pic’ Claimed Innocence When Facing Death.” Edmonton Journal 2 May 1923.

“Report of Preliminary Trial.” The Blairmore Enterprise 5 Oct.1922.

“Picariello Case Jury.” Calgary Herald 27 Nov. 1922.

“13-Year Old Peggy Gives Evidence Clearly, but Breaks Down and Sobs When Describing Tragic Scene—J.A. McAlpine, Who Was Picariello’s Mechanic, A. Dorenzo, Who found Deserted Car, and Others Also Among the Witnesses Tuesday Morning.” Calgary Herald      28 Nov. 1922.

“Eye-witness of Lawson Murder Tells Her Story.” Calgary Herald 29 Nov. 1922.

“Several witnesses in Evidence Indicate That Struggle May Have Taken Place at Car—Star Witness Expected to Take Stand on Thursday.” Calgary Herald 30 Nov. 1922.

“Resistance When Police Took Him Into Custody.” Calgary Herald, 30 Nov. 1922.

“Sergeant Scott on Stand More than Four Hours In Picariello Murder Trial.” Calgary Herald 2     Dec.1922.

“Both Accused Guilty of Lawson’s Murder Crown Council Says.” The Morning Albertan,Calgary 2 Dec.1922.

“Mr. Justice Walsh Concurs In Decision of Trial Jury.” Calgary Herald 4 Dec. 1922.

“Incident Shows Efficiency of Alberta Police, He Believes.” Calgary Herald 4 Dec.1922.

“Piccarillo and Mrs. Lassandra Guilty; Sentenced to Death.” The Morning Albertan, Calgary 4   Dec.1922.

“Lassandra and ‘Pic’ Claimed Innocence When Facing Death.” Edmonton Journal 2 May 1923.

The Bootlegger and the Stuff of Legends. Ed. Christine W. 1999. 18 Oct. 2004            <>.

History of Elk Point & District: The Alberta Provincial Police. Elk Point Historical Society. 1999. Eighteen Oct.2004 <>.



* “A Plea for Sympathy” was published in Writing Beyond History, eds. Licia Canton, Delia De Santis and Venera Fazio. Montreal: Cusmano, 2006, pp. 24-33 and it is online in Bibliosofia by kind permission of the author and the editor.

* “A Plea for Sympathy” (Un appello alla simpatia) è stato pubblicato in Writing Beyond History, a cura di Licia Canton, Delia De Santis e Venera Fazio. Montreal: Cusmano, 2006, pp. 24-33, ed è online in Bibliosofia, anche nella versione italiana di Elettra Bedon, per gentile concessione dell’autore e dell’editore.





1 febbraio 2007